Sunday, May 20, 2012

AM Springboard: Week 8

I can't believe we are done with Week 8 already, 2 more weeks and AM Springboard is over! I'm having such a great time with the animation assignments and just absorbing about every little piece of information our mentor and lecture has given us. Things like the Graph Editor, tangent types and splines are finally clicking and making sense to me. The Graph Editor was such a confusing and foreign tool for me but now I'm beginning to understand how powerful this tool can be for your animations.

The first assignment for the week was to animate a bouncing ball and then import our same animation of the bouncing ball once or twice. After importing your animation, our job was to use the Graph Editor to readjust the timing and values by scaling the keys up or down. It was a great exercise to work on! By doing so you have a better understanding how simple changes in the Graph Editor can affect your timing and sense of weight.

If you notice in my bouncing ball assignment below, the weight and timing of the balls are all different. It's basically the same animation for all 3 balls, I only scaled up or down the keys for each ball (some minor tweaks on the Translation X and Y) but for the most part is the same. Very cool trick!

Our second assignment was to work on a simple animation of a robot arm grabbing a can with a max of a 100 frames. It was a fairly open assignment so you can either go very simple or you can go crazy and built some character into your animation. I though it looked more like a mantis so I decided to approach it differently and give the robot some character. This week was our blocking pass only (that's why is still looks a little rough) but for next week's assignment I get to refine the details and clean up my animation. Should be fun! Hope you guys like it!

Happy animating!
Jose



2 comments:

  1. Hey Jose,

    I really like this blog entry.

    The way you describe the scaling keys assignment is very clear and informative. I did springboard and the way you worded the project is very clear.

    Also your robot arm blocking and ball bounces are very good. Congratulate you on your hard work, and all the best to you in your animation education. :D

    --Max

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouraging comments and feedback Max! I'm glad you enjoyed my post. I just took a look at your blog and your animations look great! I'm looking forward too see your upcoming reel for Class 02! Keep up the great work! :D

      Delete